Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mmm, forbidden donut...

I'm so exhausted! I've been working pretty much all day - fuck exercise, I've been joyfully toiling through a can of resin (the plastic kind that I make jewels with), but mostly I've been reinventing a broken, but cute mini kitchen hutch, which I've turned into a resin curing, super awesome cupboard. Today, I installed hinges, handles & recovered most of it in scrapbooking paper I've acquired over the years. &, a resin batch that went murky (I used a different brand than usual, now I know it's Digger's or nothin'. Thx Bunnings). In a little while I'll make my way over to the Red Room at UQ, to see tight bros (& To The North as well, lolz ). It's an enjoyable, but long walk from mi casa. Right now, I'd prefer to sleeeeeeeeep (what hurts today will make me stronger tomorrow ). Why you so humid, Queensland? It's barely Spring! It's all the way to hell from here...

Once I get my camera up & running again (I have... misplaced my camera-to-computer cord in the junkyard that is my room), I'm going to create a "working with resin" how-to. It's so amazing to finally be able to create resin jewels that turn out perfectly. Mind you, that's with about... 3 years experience of working with it. & sometimes, not everything turns out great (the cast-offs are used to decorate the silly shit I make). But, with enough tips (when I started getting serious about it, I read the entire Craftster thread on it - it was a serious mission! Sharing knowledge is rad!), you can create some pretty fun stuff! My fingers are covered (with my experience, I sometimes make the somewhat dubious decision to not wear protective gloves) in a thin coating of resin and sometimes glitter. I love getting my hands dirty! The now-rad chipboard cupboard was a crumbling mess, but I think I've cleaned it up pretty ok so far... half the base is still uneven, though, that's going to be a bitch. The effort will be worth it, though. My limbs are also streaked with varnish and paint - it's a toxic profession!

Let that ill-gotten donut be forever on your head...
xLN


PS. Personal Halloween costume ideas: Tracy Turnblad (the original, I've always wanted to make her cockroach dress! I can do The Roach like nobody's business), Cathy Seldon (Singin' In The Rain really is beyond fantastic, I bought it yesterday, along with Stephen Hawking's A Brief History Of Time, a Cronenberg reader, & something else), & Nikki Brandt (from Videodrome, I'm obsessed, all I need is a "stimulating" red dress! Come to Nikki...!). I think Nikki wins...

No comments:

Post a Comment

send me something sweet... or sour...