Sunday, March 15, 2009

Small lists of movies.

Books & movies are really my main obsessions (outside creating), music being a close third.

Here's a list of movies I've watched recently that I reallyreally enjoyed, in no particular order (well, as I think of them):

1. Yojimbo, 1961, directed by Akira Kurosawa. My latest full blown obsession is Kurosawa films starring Toshiro Mifune.

"I'm not dying yet. I have to kill quite a few men first."


2. 8 1/2, 1963, directed by Federico Fellini.

"
You see, what stands out at a first reading is the lack of a central issue or a philosophical stance. That makes the film a chain of gratuitous episodes which may even be amusing in their ambivalent realism. You wonder, what is the director really trying to do? Make us think? Scare us? That ploy betrays a basic lack of poetic inspiration."

(Fellini attached a note to himself below the camera's eyepiece (when filming) which read, "Remember, this is a comedy.")

.. x

No comments:

Post a Comment

send me something sweet... or sour...